Tuesday 7 September 2010

Gazing into my crystal ball!?

While clasping my morning coffee, I recently came across an interesting comment piece focusing on the growing trends in marketing and shifts towards digital media. I found it highly entertaining that the contributors where predominantly from an ‘online’ background. Needless to say the article was a little one sided!

There was one particularly striking quote made that “digital will eventually ‘kill-off’ traditional print publication and direct mail.” I’m no clairvoyant, but the thought that online will effectively replace offline marketing communications was slightly saddening even for me.

As an online professional naturally I’m bias towards the use of e-Marketing channels, however that isn’t to say I’m altogether against offline media. What might not be right for one campaign may be perfect for the next. It’s fair to say that current technology allows us to more accurately measure your average email campaign from direct mail, but that isn’t to say it’s any more or less engaging.

Achieving high response levels time and again requires marketers to correctly assess and determine the right tools for the job. Data, content and creative delivery all play a major part in how successful you are in engaging with the target audience. Disregarding more traditional offline media could mean you miss that one key customer. Personally I’m much more for the multi-channel approach!

2 comments:

Hywel Curtis said...

As you say, it definitely depends on the campaign. Take ordering a takeaway for example. I'm more than happy to do a quick search and even order online for an evening meal IF MY COMPUTER IS ON. If it isn't, I'm reaching for the menu drawer full of glossy junk mail which suddenly isn't so junk.

If I'm looking for car insurance on the other hand I will of course jump straight online to get confused and go and compare ferrets and opera singers or whatever else is required. Will future generations think differently and only act online? Who knows?

DH said...

Agreed, it will most definately come-down to future generations perception of print. Perhaps one day we will see those old takeaway menus in a museum!?